Bad Rhino is looking for an Environment Designer to join our team. In this position you will be responsible for working directly with our Environment, Design, and Art teams to create rich and immersive worlds. Your role will be to help bring to life the stories and experiences through well designed environment layouts and designs.
- Liaising with environment team, animators, directors, and developers regarding the stylistic and story elements of the project
- Collaborating with animators and/or game artists to create a virtual 3D environment that works with characters and assets
- Researching resources and references for the project
- Designing environmental layouts and level dressing
- Constructing various aspects of gaming environment like terrains, valleys, scenery, props, and models in 2D and 3D environment
- Producing a series of diverse interpretations of for review
- Revising artwork until signed off
- Designing dramatic story moments from the script
- Working within the constraints of budget and technologies
- Adhering to the production schedule
- Maintaining project documentation
- Expressing mood and tone in layouts
- Working with concept artists to incorporate layouts into scenes and sequences
- Must be able to work remotely
- A strong portfolio that demonstrates experience modeling, texturing, and set dressing environments for games
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to thrive in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment and both give and take direction well
- Demonstrated experience working with modern FPS engines (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, etc.) and modern art pipelines
- Strong work ethic and ability to maintain high quality and consistent progress without constant supervision
- Must be comfortable taking on responsibility for development of complex environments while pushing the visual quality bar
- 3+ years of experience in game development
- One or more shipped titles on multiple platforms is a plus
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude; Strong preference to applicants with development (programming, technical) and/or game development experience.
- Self-starter, you approach challenges creatively and methodically, seeing them through to final resolution
- Ability to adapt and be effective in new situations within a highly dynamic environment.
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Bad Rhino Studios and influence everything we do.